Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Garden Party Dress

AKA How I turned this...

Into this!
So I've actually got a Regency gown pattern already, but I didn't like it so I looked around for one I liked better and found this Simplicity pattern with a bust shape and sleeves I liked.

I followed the bust pattern pretty closely and added some detail to the middle. I think the only real change I made was to add some soft interfacing to the lining to stiffen it a bit, it's not really needed though.

There are two sizes of sleeve ruffles and I used both of them and sewed the smaller one on top of the other, ruched them and sewed them onto the strap and onto the bust just like the pattern recommended.

For the skirt I shortened and widened each of the pattern pieces for the long and the short skirt. The large ruffle I also had to widen and cut and extra piece of. The short ruffle is not included in the pattern, I just cut a few long thinner strips of fabric. When I sewed the skirt the the bust I lined the shorter skirt up with the darts.

So I hope this is helpful to anyone out there who maybe hasn't started a sewing project because they've been unable to find a pattern that fit's their needs. Altering existing patterns is super easy, particularly with dresses. My dress isn't quite finished, I've got a few small details to add yet so check back.


  1. Hun you have a very interesting blog! Loved it! Come by and let's follow each other! Stay in touch ;)! xx

  2. It's looking good so far! I'm looking forward to seeing what other details you add.

    1. It's really cute and longish too, which I am digging.