Friday, November 30, 2012

Christmas Dress Progress

I didn't make a Halloween costume so I've been working really hard on my Christmas dress this year, I've had this idea in my head for several years now, ever since I picked up this Re-Ment Mystery Box.
 I adore these spiderwebs, they are just so sweet. I immediately started thinking of ways to incorporate the design into lolita.

 This was the first design I came up with, it's a simple skirt, there's also a bow in the back but other then the applique it's fairly straight forward.

 This is my second design that I did a few years later, I still like it even if it's not what I ended up choosing in the end. The skirt is a JSK, there's more detail with several bows, scalloped edges, and plenty of lace.

 As you can see I've gotten lazier with designs over the years, I don't even bother to draw the person anymore. I've incorporated elements from both earlier designs, it's an under-bust JSK, it keeps a few of the bows in the front like the second design and has a bow in the back like the second. I've also toned down the lace a bit.

 
 The fabric is a pale pink silk/cotton blend, it's really soft. I don't usually enjoy shiny, but this is not too reflective. I used some batting in the bows to make them cute and puffy. My boss was nice enough to let me use his sewing machines and give me a few pointers.

 
 He showed me how to sew a seamless strap. AWESOME!

 
Drawing of the big web

 The applique so far, it was a lot of work and I was terrified of doing irreparable damage to the dress. I am so in love with the spider, look at her cute legs!

The spiders story from the Mystery Box.

I plan on wearing the glitter shoes you all saw from an earlier post with it. Stay tuned for pictures of the finished product.

6 comments:

  1. How did you do the seamless straps??

    It looks good so far! I love "Gary" the spider's story, it's really cute- it sounds like something my students would like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely need to know how to make a seamless strap!

    It looks really cute! I like the puffy bows and the appliques look great! Your spider is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sewing a seamless strap it actually not hard but it is hard to show. I didn't get it at first even when my boss had the dress in front of me and was showing me what to do.

    It involves folding the strap back over the already sewn side and sewing down one side from the shoulder seam. Then you unfold it and do the same to the other side.

    I'll see about doing a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tutorial please!! I'm not sure I can get that without some visual aids... ><;

    I would love to hear any other cool sewing tips you might have, when you've got time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Thanks for visiting me blog! Was nice to meet you yesterday, hope you found some treasures :)

    Also, this dress looks like it's going to be amazing, can't wait to see it!

    Best,
    Solanah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maura: Will do, probably won't be able to get to it until after Christmas though.

    Solanah: Thank you so much. I look forward to reading more of your blog soon.

    ReplyDelete